Adventure time: Snow mobile safari in Sweden




We wanted to start this new year of with a proper adventure, just doing something different, to make room for all the new things to come. We were hoping that doing something out of the ordinary would help set a new standard for the year, push us out of our comfort zones and motivate us to try different things. To live more, not just (insert your commitments here)!

So, come January 1st, our American friends, my wife and I woke up bright and early and drove to Sweden where we met Arjen Singeling who run Snow Scooter Tour Sweden. Arjen and his wife Liesbeth are originally from the Netherlands, but moved to Finnskogen in Värmland permanently in 2015 to start their business of snow mobile safaris and quad adventures. Lucky for us, they are located just across the border from Hedmark in Norway. And to be perfectly honest; nothing motivates me more to get going than having a short ride to my adventure.

One of the big advantages I have in life, is having been born in Norway. This means I’m a viking, and that I entered this world with skis attached to my legs. I also grew up around dog sleds and snow mobiles in Northern Norway, in a time when it wasn’t considered life threatening to be left unsupervised by adults. So naturally, we did a lot of crazy things - and stuff like «holding on for dear life» just became second nature to me. Forever imprinted in my DNA. This has proven to be very handy on several occasions. Like snow mobiling. It took a few minutes, but it all came rushing back to be - even though it's been 20 years since I rode a scooter! And once I remembered how to ride, I just wanted to shoot off into the sunset!

But I didn’t. We rode as a group, a family of five, following narrow woodling avenues and bumpy trails that led us through thick birch and enchanted pine forests - through open landscapes, over frozen swamps and snow covered lakes. It was magical. And not at all as cold as one would imagine.

And you know when nature starts acting out and just become stupid pretty, like something you would see on National Geographic? That’s what happened when we arrived at our mid way break point at the edge of a lake. We got off our scooters, and walked into a golden sunset while two moose ran across the frozen scenery. Mother and calf. There were snowy whirlwinds dancing in the horizon, and as silly as it sounds it just felt like time stood still in a golden dome.  It felt endless, like what I imagine being inside a snow globe would feel like. And if that’s not a magical way to start a new year, I don’t know what is!

The hot coffee, tea and home made cinnamon rolls Arjen unpacked from his snow mobile didn’t hurt either. That was just the icing on the lake!

Thank you to Arjen and Liesbeth for doing what you love and for sharing it with the world. Check out their website or FB if you want to know more. All in all, driving a snow mobile is easy! You have the gas, the break and the steering. Simple. But, these things are heavy machines, so bare that in mind. 

- Barbro
Safety instructions and protective gear included. You need a valid drivers licence to drive a snow mobile. This post is not sponsored in any way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Svalbard diary: Hello darkness my old friend!

London diary: Old Spitafields Market