London diary: Camden Market

Camden Market is massive! It's a wonderful maze of over 1000 restaurants, shops, food trucks, music, market stalls, art, cafés and pop ups. It's almost too big. I felt lost, several times. And overwhelmed, most of the time. I even forgot to take pictures at some point because I was so busy enjoying myself. That's when you know you're in a good place! I thought their claim to be the biggest market in London might just be another one of those sale tricks to get people to visit, but it really is the biggest market I have ever been to in my life. I guess there is a reason this market has its own app (if you have Google Play) and has been named one of the 7 urban wonders of the world last year. That's all kinds of impressive, considering it all started out as a small arts and crafts market with 16 stalls in the mid 70's.


The most beautiful and picturesque section of the market is definitely the 200 year old Pickford Stables. It's a network consisting of old stable blocks, workshops, horse tunnels and once; even a horse hospital. At its peak in the mid 1900's, the stables housed more than 700 horses. These horses were used to pull trains and help guide barges (flat-bottomed ships) up and down the canals all over London. The buildings themselves are grade II listed, meaning they're protected by the government as the buildings are of «special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them». But that's enough history for one post! Today, you can take the Waterbus between Camden Lock and Little Venice. I wish I knew this beforehand. because that is definitely something I would love to do.

Camden market is an explosion of extraordinary colors and mouthwatering smells, surrounded by an orchestra of sounds. Going to any market, especially food markets, you will most likely be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of deliciousness surrounding you. People will try to shove food down your throat everywhere you turn, especially in the Asian food section here at Camden Town, and I don't know about you but I personally don’t do well in situations like that. I much rather prefer just looking and making my own decision, in my own time. It’s the introvert life!

Unless you are lucky enough to have a never-ending appetite, very flexible pants or just limitless space between your ribs and your pelvic area - I highly recommend going for the «taste and go» approach. Being a rather seasoned food market explorer, I've learned (the hard way) to take it slow! Walk through the market at your own speed and just experience it first; see, smell, taste, enjoy. Then maybe decide if you want to retrace your steps to «that» place and get the «thing» you just can’t seem to get out of your head. This time, for me, it was a yummy bubble waffle with Nutella and strawberries. Sometimes, I really wish I could fit more food in this body of mine.


This market has the potential to become a new favorite. It could probably have been a much better experience had it not been freezing cold this last Wednesday, because that definitely put a damper on the whole experience for me. Cold weather truly is the only downside when traveling to London in January, because there is the HUGE benefit of less tourists and people around in general. Wikipedia estimates that 250,000 people visit this area each week. That's like 5% of the whole population of Norway.

Camden Market has an excellent web site with event calendar and a journal. I suggest clicking through their site before heading out there. They do "trader spotlights" and there is a very useful index of at least one hundred of the vendors, in case you're looking for something particular. Check out the roof top cinema for an unique experience, they're currently screening cult classics!

Comments

  1. Aah, now I really want to go back to London. And now I feel really hungry. :) Loved this post!

    www.desireetravels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really have fallen in love with London and all of its wonderful markets. Let me know if you ever need a travel buddy! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to type!

Popular posts from this blog

Svalbard diary: Hello darkness my old friend!

London diary: Old Spitafields Market

Adventure time: Snow mobile safari in Sweden