London diary: Old Spitafields Market



For centuries the East End in London was known as the home for outcasts and immigrants of the city, and as I dug deeper into the area and researched its history, I discovered some very dark and disturbing facts. During the Roman period of London, when it was known as Londinium, Brick Ln was used as a Roman burial ground. It was strategically positioned just outside the former city walls of London, and became a dumping ground for death. It was known as «home of the dead» for centuries. It is also said that the first of Jack the Ripper's victim was last seen in the area in 1888, just adding to the big pile of death. Despite, or maybe because of its complicated history, Brick Ln has thrived and become the heart of the East End. After the 1990's it has become a mecca for artists, hippies, Bohemians, yuppies and everything in-between - and it's now  known as the place to visit for music, thrifting, street art and vintage everything.

And Old Spitafields Market!

What strikes me about this market is that it doesn’t feel like a market - it feels like a community. It's like a group of likeminded creatives decided to come together under one roof, to make an exceptional collective. Craftsmen, chefs and creative artists alike go to work here every day, as it is open seven days of the week, all year round. The vendors are carefully chosen based on the quality of their product, their personal stories - and all eyes are on the them regarding the sustainability of their product. From their ideas and concept, all the way up to packaging. I really appreciate that, and I'm very happy about the big green wave that is hitting shores all over the world these days. There is no planet B!



Maybe I’m a sucker for words like «artisanal cheese» and anything «locally produced», but as long I can have a taste, I’m OK with that. I love food! And one thing is certain: no matter where I go or what I do in this world, I will always need food. And this market is just a perfect fit for me. They have three of my biggest passions gathered together under one roof: food, treats and antique treasures.

Old Spitafields Market is buzzing with smells, taste and colors - you can feel it as soon as you enter the premises. Here you'll find a diverse selection of tastemakers running around, offering authentic flavors to hungry hearts. And there is a lot of hungry hearts here in London. One thing I really love about these big city markets, is that you can eat your way around the globe without ever having to leave the premises. You want Japanese-Latin fusion? Stop by Sugoi. Jamaican? Check out Cafe Caribbean. Ethiopian? Italian? Greek? They have food trucks, open kitchens, restaurants, pastry carts, pop ups, you name it. And I honestly wish I had a bigger belly on days like these, because all I want to do is taste all the things. Especially the sweet things.



At Old Spitafields Market, there is the added bonus of an antique market every Thursday, which is why I saved it for my Thursday in the city. Who doesn’t like to go treasure hunting? It truly is one of my favorite thing to do, besides traveling. And eating. I don't particularly enjoy shopping in regular retail stores, very much due to its impact on the environment - but this.. This is something completely different to me! I will happily dig through piles of stuff for hours, if it can get me that one special item. I did find some treasures, but I can't tell you about them, because they are gifts. And I don't want to ruin the surprise!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Svalbard diary: Hello darkness my old friend!

Adventure time: Snow mobile safari in Sweden